A judge dismisses Wade Robson’s lawsuit, claims that choreographer had no proof that the estate enabled allege sexual abuse by King of Pop.
Wade Robson’s lawsuit was filed to address allege sexual abuse by Michael Jackson when Robson was a child. Robson’s sexual abuse allegations were chronicled in the high-profile 2019 HBO documentary Leaving Neverland. Wade Robson’s lawsuit in 2013 claimed that Jackson sexually abused him for nearly a decade and his companies MJJ Productions and MJJ failed to protect him as a young child.
Statue of Limitations regarding Wade Robson’s lawsuit
Wade Robson’s lawsuit was initially filed in 2017 but lost. Judge Mitchell Beckloff previously dismissed Wade Robson’s lawsuit in December 2017 because it filed outside the statute of limitations. Recently, California enacted a law that extended the statue of limitations from 26 to 40. This law allowed Wade Robson another opportunity to appeal the ruling.
The Judge’s Ruling
However, Judge Mark A. Young ruled in favor of MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures, Monday. Instead, The judge granted the Jackson estate’s request to dismiss the suit brought in 2013 by Wade Robson. Judge Young ruled because Robson couldn’t prove the companies had the ability to control Jackson’s conduct. Also, Judge Young said there was nothing suggesting that the companies had “any fiduciary duty” to protect Robson as a child from the pop singer.
The Lawyers Speak
Vince Finaldi, Robson’s Attorney”…Dangerous Precendent that Would Leave Children in the Entainment Industry Vulnerable…”
Vince Finaldi, said in a statement to EW that “the ruling had fatal flaws.” Finaldi stated that it will appealed “to the Court of Appeal, and to the Supreme Court if necessary.” “If allowed to stand, the decision would set a dangerous precedent” Finaldi continued, “that would leave thousands of children working in the entertainment industry vulnerable to sexual abuse by persons in places of power. The children of our state deserve protection, and we will not stop fighting until we insure that every child is safe.”
Johnathan Steinspir, attorney for Jackon’s Estate-
“…Robson’s Claims Have No Merit.”
Jonathan Steinsapir, said in a statement that Robson “has spent the last eight years pursuing frivolous claims in different lawsuits against Michael Jackson’s estate and companies associated with it.” Steinsapir continued, “Robson has taken nearly three dozen depositions and inspected and presented hundreds of thousands of documents trying to prove his claims, yet a Judge has once again ruled that Robson’s claims have no merit whatsoever, that no trial is necessary, and that his latest case is dismissed.”