Nicki Minaj too much for Saudi Arabia?
She told the Associated Press she pulled out of her show after “educating” herself on the many “issues” women, the LGBTQ community and other minority groups face in the country.
“After careful reflection I have decided to no longer move forward with my scheduled concert at Jeddah World Fest. While I want nothing more than to bring my show to fans in Saudi Arabia, after better educating myself on the issues, I believe it is important for me to make clear my support for the rights of women, the LGBTQ community and freedom of expression,” Minaj said.
I’m tired of my fans sending me DM’s saying they want to commit suicide. You guys will never know the things my fans express to me privately. It would break me if even one of my fans were arrested, or BEATEN for expressing themselves. God is LOVE. NO disrespect to the Saudi govt
— MEGATRON (@NICKIMINAJ) July 9, 2019
The Human Rights Foundation issued a statement last week, calling for Minaj and other performers to pull out of the show.
In Saudi Arabia, gender segregation between women and men is still playing in action.
These rules are still enforced in places like restaurants, coffee shops, public schools, and universities. But, other rules have loosened with women now allowed to drive and attend events in sports stadiums.
Jeddah World Fest is alcohol and drug-free, and is open to people 16 and older.
Over the past several months, Saudi Arabia has seen performances by Mariah Carey, Enrique Iglesias, the Black Eyed Peas, Sean Paul, David Guetta, and Tiesto.
We see things slowly changing in Saudi Arabia, but until then Nicki will be fully pulling out of the concert.
Have any thoughts? Leave your comments down below!
Until then, make sure to keep visiting the Hypefresh site for more news on the culture!
Image Credit: Refinery29